Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What I Learned From Library Day 1

Our class in the library was really helpful and I'm glad that such days are part of the Writing 150 course. The biggest thing I came away with is that there is no need to fear research. There are so many resources available and so many people willing and able to help. It was helpful to learn about the open lab, the live library chat thing and the actual people in the library who are there to help. I really like that Writing 150 has it's own page under the library's page. I had no idea about that before yesterday. I had used similar databases before, but it was nice to learn what ones the library had and which ones they recommended for different aspects of research. I also learned that encyclopedias are a big no-no in college level writing. They are good only for background information and should not be cited. As far as questions go, I don't have too many about research in general. Most of mine are more topic specific like, "How exactly should I narrow this topic down and make sense of it?" and "Why me?" (ha ha, just kidding). In addition to everything I learned about research, I also learned that iPad's are more of a cool concept than a practical tool. That's that to say I didn't enjoy using one, along with the bummer-car style desks. Those were sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. Honestly, starting research on a paper usually really scares me because it is such a big task. But thanks to the library, I'm not so afraid anymore! haha Props to the library!

    ReplyDelete