Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Feelings on Peer Review

I've never been a real fan of peer reviews. Our current peer review assignment I found particularly nasty because there were so many papers to go over. I felt like the number of papers made it hard to spend the time to really know the paper and make good comments. I would like reviewing only one or two papers. I don't really like peer reviews because I would rather spend the time working on my own paper. I also feel like a overly critical, grumpy person or a totally apathetic person with no useful comments when I peer review.  
My experience today in class was one of the most positive experiences I've had with peer review. Thanks people in my group! You made some good suggestions that I wouldn't have thought of.

7 comments:

  1. I agree that sometimes it's hard to come up with things to say that don't sound offensive. It's one of the things I also struggle with about peer reviews. But I do appreciate it when I get good advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad today was a positive experience for you! In the future, I plan to have smaller peer review groups so you'll be able to have plenty of time to review each other's papers.

    Thanks for your participation today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree that there were to many papers to go over. It was tough work, and I wasn't sure if i was the best one to be peer reviewing their papers. But in class today was great! I received insight on my paper that was thoughtful and beneficial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also like to agree, that was a lot of work. I felt like I could be doing better things with my time. I did like the feedback that I got back on my paper it was all super helpful. It was the worst when I had to make comments on a paper that was almost perfect, I just felt like I was praising the paper the whole time and that I wasn't helping make it better at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your honesty. You have to remember, though, that your feedback on papers is more valuable than you think. No one at this point has perfect or close to perfect papers (thus is the nature of the beast), but I felt like feedback from 3 or 4 students is beneficial because you can get a range of ideas and insights.

      Delete
  5. Although I really liked peer reviews, I do agree that we had a lot of paper to review and it would of been nice to have some time to work though our paper and take those comments we received and to plan them into improving our papers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The number of papers to review was a lot, but I felt that looking over more papers helped me realize things that I could do better. So I think that more is actually better in this situation.

    ReplyDelete