Monday, April 9, 2012

Blogging About Blogs

I didn't particularly like blogging, but I think I liked it more than whatever the alternative would have been. I'd never done a blog type thing for a class, so it was a nice change of pace. As far as a measure of participation, (I think that's what these assignments fall under) I liked it a lot. I thought it was cool how we were able to read what everybody else thought about something before class. If there was any confusion about the assignment, I could see what other people did and reread the assignment on the class blog. I liked being able to get a wide range of opinions really quickly. I also felt like I was able to get to know people in the class better. It wasn't as awkward as it could have been to change seats because I had be reading people's blog so I sort of knew them. At the same time, that's kind of creepy, but I guess that's the name of the game when it comes to blogging. It was like an out of class discussion done on my own time, which was very convenient. I think it would have been cool to kind of continue the discussion in class more, because just a couple of the blog posts felt a little disconnected from what was going on in class. But, it was probably a time constraint kind of thing. I liked how we didn't have to bring a lot of assignments to class because we just did it on the blog. It was nice to not have to worry about printing something out beforehand. The biggest difference in blogging an assignment instead of turning in a paper is that I feel it is much easier to be informal when blogging than actually writing it down. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; it's more just kind of is. It's also easy to write more when it's a blog (as is evidenced by this long rambling paragraph). Once again, I don't know if that's good or bad. At any rate, I think the blog posts were a good addition to the class.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you came to that conclusion. There are definitely pros and cons when it comes to using blogging in the classroom, but I think you've demonstrated that the pros likely outweigh the cons. Thanks for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete